Why not start the new year off right by refreshing your home’s electrical system and ensuring that your home, property, personal belongings, and loved ones are protected against the elements and against any fire hazard? Here are some tips from the experts at Tap and Sons Electric on aspects of your electrical system that should be checked, replaced, or upgraded in the new year.
Electrical Safety Tips at Home
- Switch your light bulbs to LED units to increase efficiency and decrease overall costs. LED lights are more energy efficient and last for years, saving you money in the long run.
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. This should be done at least once a year and units should be tested on a monthly basis
- Replace any smoke detectors that are 10 years old. Even if a unit is still functioning, it should be replaced with a newer, more efficient model every decade.
- Carbon monoxide detectors should be replaced every 3 - 6 years. Label the expiration date (no longer than 6 years from date of installation) where you can clearly see it and replace units accordingly. This small investment could save your life in the event of a carbon monoxide buildup.
- Ensure you place extension cords strategically to ensure safety for your home and loved ones. If you find that you use extension cords on a regular basis, it might be time to consider installing an additional outlet or two to eliminate the need for an extension cord.
- Use surge protectors to help prevent circuit overloads and prevent fire hazard from power surges. Inclement weather, construction, accidents, and other circumstances can cause power surges that could damage your electrical system if it is not properly protected.
- Purchase energy efficient appliances that will allow you to focus on conserving your resources and take advantage of minimizing your energy costs
Contact Tap and Sons Electric, your residential electrician in Phoenix, AZ for more information on how to stay safe this winter. Our team is here to help you install any electrical updates you need assistance with and assist you with improving the safety of your home and property to protect your loved ones.